Thursday 9 July 2015

Developing Physicality

Deriving from a dance background myself I found it very challenging to choreograph on performers with less physical experience. It was very difficult to find the balance of their bodily abilities and the complexity of the movement I have envisioned as a choreographer. Generated movement material was not challenging enough for what I felt was required to sustain the audience's attention. In order to make sure the choreography had my personal twist to it, we went through a long process of refining the details of it.By changing and adding different dynamics, accents and pauses within their phrases, I pushed them to their limits in order to develop the maximum level of their physical abilities. The feedback I have received from my dancers as well as observers of the process have proofed success. Performers themselves voiced the fact that they have never been so physically challenged during the creative process. The observers were surprised with the level of physically we have achieved in such a short period of time. As a dancer myself I strongly feel that being physically and creatively challenged is very important in order to develop and grow as a performer. I was satisfied with the end results although I wish we had more time to make sure the choreography was cleaner.

No comments:

Post a Comment